Skills Group Privacy Statement
Ignite Colleges is a part of the Skills Group.
Skills Group (Skills Organisation Incorporated, and its subsidiaries) must collect, use and share personal information about the people we deal with to meet our core purposes. This privacy statement explains how and why we do this and also how we store and protect it, and how you can access and correct it.
We don’t just view privacy as a compliance requirement, we see it as a fundamental part of our values:
- Real – We are genuine, and we will always be honest and upfront with you about our privacy practices, and any data breaches that affect your information.
- Smart – We love to find better ways to do stuff, and that includes managing and protecting your personal information. We’re continuously improving our privacy practices because we know how important these are to trainee trust and
- Partner – Partnering is in our DNA, and we think it is important to partner with our trainees and let them access and correct their information at any time. After all – you’re the best person to ensure that we’re using up-to-date information.
- Grow – We grow others and ourselves, and we need information about you to do this well. We will always make sure we collect only the information we need to grow you and we will only use your information for legitimate purposes.
When we collect personal information from you (for example, when you sign our training agreement), we may also tell you other things about the way we’ll manage that information. It is important that you read and understand this statement and any other things we tell you about privacy. You can always ask us if you’re not sure.
We may update our privacy statement, to reflect changes to privacy regulations or our business operations. This privacy statement was last updated in November 2020.
1. The personal information we collect about you
1.1 – How we collect
We collect personal information from you directly (or via your employer or one of our overseas diplomatic posts) when you apply for any of our services, or when you engage with our call centre, website or contact us in other ways. We may generate information about you internally when we’re delivering services.
We may also collect information about you from third parties, including your employers, your other training providers or government agencies such as the Tertiary Education Commission, NZ Qualifications Authority or (where you are an overseas-based trainee) the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
In all cases, we’ll only ever collect or generate the minimum amount of personal information necessary to meet our purposes. If you choose not to provide any of the personal information requested, we may not be able to consider you for enrolment in a training programme and our ability to deliver services to you may be affected.
1.2 – What we collect
If you are a NZ-based trainee, we may collect the following personal information about you:
- full name;
- contact information, including address; phone number and email;
- date of birth;
- National Student Number;
- iwi affiliation;
- citizenship or residency;
- information about your education and qualifications;
- the languages you speak;
- information about your employment;
- information about your literacy and numeracy abilities;
- identity verification documents, such as passport, drivers’ licence or birth certificate;
- emails or other correspondence relating to the services you receive from us;
- internal notes about the services you receive from us; and
- information about any health and safety incidents you are involved
If you are an overseas-based trainee, we may also collect the following personal information about you:
- information about your travel arrangements;
- information about your living arrangements while you are in NZ; and
- any interactions we have with you during your stay in
We also collect the following information about you when you use our websites or online services:
- IP address;
- language spoken;
- location; and
- cookies (small data files that our website sends to your browser, which may then store them on your system for later retrieval).
1.3 – Why we collect
We will usually tell you why we need to collect information about you at the time we ask you for it. In general, however, we collect personal information in order to deliver the services you have requested from us (that is, meet our contractual obligations to you and your employer), improve and grow our business and market our services, comply with our contractual and regulatory reporting requirements, and keep our trainees and staff safe.
Additional Terms and Conditions
Enrol with Ignite
Applying to study with us is easy. Make an appointment with us or complete our enquiry form.